Sunday, May 31, 2009
Quite a few of you have asked how I transferred the leaf in the last post to the fabric and as it was quite a while since I did it last I had a bit of a play this evening. I have called this a Tutorial, but it isn't really it's more of a hit or miss, but do have a go. It's fun.
The first time I tried this I used Bondaweb. Carol and Sue from SerenTex introduced me to the idea using petals and more delicate leaves.
It's quite a simple method and not new. Below is the method used if you want to save your leaf or petal until you need it.
1.Sheet of greaseproof or parchment paper. (Thanks to Jo for noticing error which I have now rectified)
2.Layer of Bondaweb.
3.Leaf or flower petal.
4.Another layer of bondaweb.
5.Sheet of greaseproof or parchment to cover.
6.Carefully iron on medium heat, preferably without steam.
7.Leave to cool before carefully removing the paper.
8.It can now be used when needed by peeling off the first layer and ironing onto the fabric.
When I went home I had a 'what if' moment and tried these thick and juicy leaves I had. It was more fiddly as the juice was coming out of the leaves around the edges and because they were so thick they separated into two thin layers.
Method with the juicy leaves starts with instruction 2, putting a layer of Bondaweb directly on the fabric without including the backing paper.
These are the leaves I used for my experiment tonight all are fresh from the plant. I understand most of them are of the Begonia family and the leaves are very juicy. I also used white fabric for clarity, rather than the transfer painted fabric I used previously.
As I didn't have any Bondaweb this evening I experimented with Heat n Bond sold for quilters and used for applique. It is not like Bondaweb, it's a little more dense perhaps. This is how it turned out. As you see it came apart in two thin layers and was able to use both with some additional bonding on one of them..
Here is a closeup of one part of the bonded leaf, as you can see the veins have gone.
Here are some more results of my play tonight. The top left corner was the most successful as it was not as juicy as the other leaves. The rose petal was done using Misty Fuse which was ideal for a delicate petal.
Bottom left corner is one saved from the original experiment way back and used Bondaweb.
As you can see from the enlarged image, bondaweb works better, the Heat and Bond leaves a slight deposit on the leaves. But with more heat and some experimenting might turn out well.