Monday, May 25, 2009

Fast and Furious


This long piece of fabric was made during the last few days. A lot of work, but all done at a fast and furious pace and such fun. I went into my bits bag and chose a bunch of fabrics in the colours I thought would look good together, ironed them and cut them with my roller cutter into strips of various widths. Out came my threads and I picked the ones that were almost finished, the same with my bobbins. I had run out of bobbins when I needed to use a new colour and there were so many with a little thread left. The strips were laid randomly and stuck down lightly top and bottom with a glue stick. These were left to dry before starting to stitch. I rolled the strip up from one end and used all the stitches I fancied from my Bernina stitches to join the fabrics together. Now that was fun!

You may be wondering what on earth I'm going to use this for? Hopefully they will be used to make covers for the Journals I'm making for a swap with friends from the Surface Design Yahoo Group. A few years ago I made a bag using something similar.


This is a detail of my latest strip.

9 comments:

Dolores said...

I have done exactly as you have lately. I am sewing quilt blocks together and using up all my bobbins with a little bit of thread on them. Feels so good to have empty bobbins now for when I need new colours. So, I take it that all the raw edges are showing?

lindacreates said...

I love this idea and yours turned out great! I can't wait to see your journal covers.

TextileTraveler said...

What a great idea to use up those fabric scraps AND those little bits of thread! Thanks for posting this.

maggi said...

Thanks for reminding me of a technique long-forgotten. It looks very effective on the bag, can't wait to see the journal covers.

Heather said...

What a wonderful idea and very eco-friendly too. Your bag is beautiful Mags and I'm looking forward to seeing the journal covers when you have made them. I have loads of fabrics which never get used, perhaps I'll try this out.

Julie said...

What a good idea and the colours look great too. I don't have many stitches on my machine but I shall have to give this a try.

Valeri said...

Love the bag but then I'm into bags at the moment!

Sandy said...

What a good use of scrap fabrics to create beautiful things.

Genie said...

lovely work, look forward to seeing finished work