Monday, May 04, 2009

Memory Lane

I've had a very busy few days trying to set up my new laptop, I don't remember if I told you the one I use every day died on me? I couldn't get my favourite programs to work on the new laptop or my small notebook. I'd installed Norton Antivirus on both, but I uninstalled it and installed the AVG free antivirus I had always used and my problems have disappeared. Both computers use Vista. I know some people get on well with Norton, but I never have luck using it.



I thought you would like to see the sunset of a few evenings ago before I set off down Memory Lane. The colours of the sky and all the reflections were so beautiful.

What set me off down Memory Lane this time? I made myself some Rhubarb and Ginger Jam! Sue(SerenTex) had brought me some more rhubarb from her garden. I don't think I'm usually a very selfish person, I hope not anyway, but I really did hope no one else wanted any to take home. No one did so I took the lot!

I was craving some Rhubarb and Ginger Jam like my mother used to make. I found a recipe here Rhubarb and Ginger Jam and I chose it because it was a good Housekeeping recipe and I thought it would be more authentic. I got all my stuff together the previous evening and followed the recipe, but as I couldn't find any root ginger in my local shops, I had to make do with adding powdered ginger at the end of the cooking period. It turned out really delicious and tasted just like my mother's. But she put a piece of the ginger root at the bottom of every pot and I loved getting to the bottom of the pot so I could suck the root. I used to eat it by the spoonful when my mother's back was turned.


I used my pressure cooker pan because I don't have a preserving pan. It was very relaxing standing over it, stirring and watching it change colour. Then came the setting part, this reminded me of the plate my mother used to put on the windowsill to cool with a teaspoon of the jam on it. Then I was allowed to eat these little puddles with my finger. It made me think how important it is for people to have children around when they are doing things so they have lovely memories to look back on when they are older. I hope my sons have some memories even though I was always a 'working mum' I did try to spend time with them.


Another memory when I put my jars to sterilise in the oven. How often was I warned not to touch these because they were hot. I couldn't wait until my mother had finished pouring the jam into the jars so I could have the cup when it was cool. This was just like toffee around the edges.


I also made some Rhubarb Crumble for the freezer when I'd finished the jam as I had some rhubarb left over. I was ashamed it took such a very short time to make these. I always loved cooking and baking, but stopped because I was too busy. but now with the crunch, I think it's as well to start again, saving money, having tastier food and the real satisfaction of seeing a trayful things that you have made.
This was not like my usual posts, but I hope young people today find it is possible to survive the crunch and maybe look back on it as a happy time? My mother always used to say that the happiest time of her life was when she was young and didn't have two halfpennies to knock together.

10 comments:

Sue B said...

what a great post Mags! I've never made jam.cas

Laura said...

Oh Mags, Thank you for reminding me of the times that I spent alongside my mother making jam, baking cookies, preserving fruit etc. etc. We had a big garden ( 1 acre) filled with all kinds of fruit trees and we always had home-made fair. Delicious. I too try and involve my boys in the kitchen end they still enjoy it!

Gina said...

What a lovely trip down memory lane. My friend is dropping off some rhubarb for me later so I think I might have to give this a try. I love rhubarb jam!

Julie said...

What a lovely memory Mags. My Nan used to make all the jams and chutneys in our family. Her kitchen always smelt wonderful.

Heather said...

Oh how I agree with your mother Mags. When our children were small we were very hard up, but they were the best years for me. Home made jam is the best and I always tried to make things rather than have to buy them and never bought cakes, pies or biscuits. Now I dare not make them for fear of putting on more weight!! A lovely post.

MargaretR said...

I think that's why I stopped baking too Heather. I was eating them :))

Susan D said...

oooh my 2 favourite things Rhubarb and Ginger. I've only ever been able to get that sort of jam once years ago at a fair in York.

Annette J said...

Beautiful photos just love the colours, so nostaligic of Summer evenings. I'm no good at making jam I always manage to get it stuck to everything. I'm sure yours will be wonderful.

Alis said...

I can't get on with Norton either and use AVG free ;0)

Lovely photos Mags. You always make me feel like I am right there beside you.

Mermaids Purse said...

Ooh yes, this post reminds me of a favourite family photo of my youngest brother at about two years old sitting on the table licking the wooden spoon after scraping the sides of the cake mix bowl. Sadly, my kids never ever did this but I still do!