Monday, June 22, 2009

North Wales Regional Day

Last night's Regional Evening was very successful with over 70 members attending. The finger buffet and the strawberries and cream were delicious with Ann Jones(SerenTex) in charge of the catering. The 3 winners were Rhiannon, Gaynor and Joan with Catherine of Silken Strands - (supplier of threads for hand and machine embroidery) having the difficult job of choosing the best. Unfortunately I was not able to take many photos as I was on the Ario stand, they had sent us a box of goodies to sell.


But I did get to see Carol McFee's samples from their D4daisy Book, 'Stitching the Textured Surface' which will be out soon and I can tell you now that no photo does them justice, they are fantastic.



The Madeira Lecture was given by Luned Rhys Parry a wonderful artist who creates her scenes and sculptures using recycled materials including old Newspapers and cardboard boxes. they have to be see to be believed. Luned has a wonderful sense of humour which comes out strongly in all her work. Unfortunately the quality of my photos are very poor.


Here is Luned demonstrating her method of working and below is a sample of work made by SerenTex member Rhiannon Jones who took a course with Luned and I've just booked to go an a Day Course with her soon. I can't wait!

Please click on him, he's worth a closer look!


And I was fortunate enough to be one of the raffle winners, winning a lovely box made by Ann Jones. Maybe that should have been the title of this post. 'Ann Jones' as her name has cropped up so many times. How does one person manage to do all this?

8 comments:

Jackie said...

I am a big fan of Silken Strands. I love Natesh threads. Your regional day sounds wonderful.

Mermaid's Purse said...

I don't think I've come across Luned before - her work looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll have a great time on her course!

Carol said...

Hi Mags, great to see you at the meeting,it was a lovely evening wasn't it.
the work in the the book is still with Michael Wicks so what you saw was a selection of samples similar to one small part of the book :)

Laura said...

I love the bird/chicken!! I wish I could join you on a course with Luned.

Heather said...

What a wonderful raffle prize - you must have been thrilled. Sounds like a great evening and I would have loved to be there to meet Carol and see all her lovely samples for the book. Luned's work looks very innovative - it's nice to come across something quite different and with a humourous touch. Loved the chicken and the cows. All the temptations from the stalls too - what more could you ask!

Julie said...

Love the chicken and the box. Your evening sounds very stimulating.

Jacquelines blog said...

I wish I've been there:-) Must have been a lovely day.

fiona d said...

I love the bird - such energy! looking forward to seeing what you make on the course with Luned