Sunday, July 05, 2009

Westhope College

I have so many things to catch up on I don't know where to start!


Thursday was a very exciting day with my 'old' school friends, then Friday evening another friend invited me to join them on a trip to Craven Arms in Shropshire to Westhope College, this college is famous for it's craft and textiles courses which I'd always wanted to visit. This weekend they have their annual exhibition of work and luckily we had a nice day for it and only had one short shower on the way home.


We were made to feel very welcome and were met at the door by the owner of the college, textile artist Ann Dyer. The photo above was taken by Pat Phillpott, the college Principal. It was wonderful to see all the work done during the year.

I seem to be taking a lot more interest in working with papers these days, probably because I have taken on line courses with Sue and Terri Welcome to Two Creative Studios. I still love my textiles and stitching and this is just a little extra creative craft I'm getting into these days. The reason I mention this now is because my favourite part of the exhibition at Westhope was the Creative Bookmaking course, taken by Jo Jukes a very talented lady.



This is some of her own work shown here and of course they are 'books' and can be read. I was very impressed with all the work turned out by her students who had been on the course for 12 months. I took so many photos and have permission to blog them all, but if I did you would be here all day and night!


I had a lovely chat with Ann Baker, who made the books above and we seemed to have a lot in common. She creates textiles as well as having done a C&G computing course here at Westhope. Here books were textile related and based on lace inspiration. Ann belongs to a Textile group called Marches Makers who have an exhibition on at the moment ‘Sense of Place’ at Red House Glass Cone at Stourbridge. Just that name makes one want to visit the gallery doesn't it?

Some members of this group :-- Jay Swain, Dee Highfield, Judy Evans, Margaret McQuillen, Margaret Webb, Ann Baker and Charlotte Gardiner. I have Googled these names and only found these 2 ladies.

Stevie Walker, Stevie is a great tutor and her own work is wonderful.

Charlotte Gardiner Whom I also met at Westhope.

My concentration has gone now and I think this post is too long anyway, so it will have to be continued another time.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Mags your post is definitely not too long, the work you've shown is fantastic and Stevie Walker's work is out of this world! Thank you so much for the link to her site, I would absolutely love to take a workshop with her. What wonderful work!

Heather said...

What a lovely time you've been having recently. Lot's of happy memories to look back on. Those books are just wonderful and very inspirational. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

lindacreates said...

I so enjoyed your post and loved seeing you with your friends. The art books were very interesting. Please share more.

Sue B said...

So many posts to catch up on! Love that photo of the group of you.