Friday, August 14, 2009

CTDG design work

During the course we were shown how to use Photoshop Elements which a few of us did not have, so we used PSP which made it a bit more difficult. Since coming home I have downloaded a trial copy of Elements 7 and I love it.

Please click to enlarge the images.


Here is the image I started off with. I had no idea what to expect as we had been told to bring images on either Rural/Urban or/and Arches. as usual I had far more images than I needed, but as Sarah started her tutorial I knew exactly which image I would use and didn't look at any others. I thought this image of Conwy bridges and castle with the river flowing below and the reflections had all the elements needed for a good design. Sarah showed us how to develop the design elements, emphasising the Tones, Shapes, Texture, Colour and Line. We had to describe the image to discover it's attributes and pin point a possible message.


I had never worked in this way before so I found it rather difficult to begin with. I don't really think I got it right, but with a little practice I will get there. I foolishly panicked and saved my image as a jpg. this happened because the original image was a jpg and my program always saves the same. This caused me to flatten the image and lose all the layers which I needed. So I had to start from scratch on my image, but again I panicked and used a blog sized image which was not big enough to print out. Looks good on the computer though.


I like both images above. They have a sort of calm aged feel about them. The message I think is that the river had been there a long time, with the castle built in 1100 or so. Then we have the three bridges, the tubular, the suspension and the modern. The reflections of all these things blend in the reflections of the river which has flowed continuously by all these years.


I like the strong colours in this one, but they don't convey the timeless quality I was looking for.


Is it just me or did this accidentally turn out a bit like Monet's Bridge at Giverny below? I thought it had some similarities until I looked at Monet's painting again and compared them.




If you look carefully you will see the tiles in the Monet-like one. I learnt how to make a pattern in PSP.


All in all a highly successful course as far as I was concerned and I think all the others felt the same.

9 comments:

Heather said...

I wouldn't know where to start with a project like this, but can appreciate the wonderful designs you have achieved. They definitely have the Wow factor Mags. Yes, there is a bit of Monet in your bridges - I saw it.

Sue B said...

Wow Mags, these are very cool.

Marlis said...

these are really cool mags!

btw: are you going to festival of quilts next week?

Sandy said...

You are so good with the computer. I think your images worked and are original.

Julie said...

The course looks fascinating and I can see how the verticals in particular running thro your pic would remind you of Monet's bridge. I bought my DH Elements 6 for his b'day but we haven't found the time to play with it yet.

JP said...

really super images - i look forward to watching you work with them!

Pamela Price Klebaum said...

These are wonderful! I start a Visual Design for Multi Media class tomorrow and can't wait to learn what we will study. It's fun to learn these tools at our age (I will be a grandmother someday !).

Genie said...

Lovely work Mags

maggi said...

Your images are really effective and some would look superb translated into stitch.