Sunday, August 02, 2009

Monoprinting Sketchbook

I've just been having a quiet laugh to myself as I thought all my commenting friends had deserted me because for the first time since I started blogging I've had 2 days with no comments. I just found 11 coments waiting to be moderated, so they were not showing anywhere. Thank you all. I love my comments and they keep me going. I shall go and change my Settings now.


I haven't forgotten all about my circles either. This morning I noticed that I had chosen a new cover for my ironing table covered in circles :)

The following are pages from the sketchbook developed after my Masterclass with Ann Bridges. I felt it was a pity not to use the samples I made in some creative way and a reminder of the pleasure I had that day.


I chose to use this thistle type plant as my inspiration for the monoprinting and reduced the colours in the image in PaintShopPro before going to the course. So Page 1 has some 'fast and furious' coloured sketches using Inktense soluble pencils.


KISS is what I often have to be reminded of when I tend to go OTT with all I do and I do find it helps to work very quickly on things like this and not to let myself think too much.


This is the shape I cut out and the template, both were used with the printing inks. Ann works with Yellow, Cyan and Magenta printing inks only to create all her colours. I love the colours transferred to the shape and it was my favourite of the whole day's work even though it was only the shape used to make the prints, the build-up of colours on it is very pleasing.


This one developed because of the up and down stripes in the print on the left and there is a hint of pink through it which I liked, but my tissue papers were a bit strong and did not give me the effect I was expecting, but I will use this method again.


This one does not look as good as it actually is in the photo. I cut up one of my prints into four strips and the same with the clear plastic we used in the printing process. This had lots of images after printing and it was cut into 4 strips. The base was painted roughly in pale pink and the strips staggered on it. I had fun drawing a continuation of the lines of the design in between before sticking down the plastic strips using double sided tape at each end. I hope to have some more fun soon with this sketchbook.

10 comments:

smarcoux said...

I thought the same as you Margaret

but indeed I did not have any comments either the amount of people reading my blog have dropped as I dont have enough interesting stuff on it or people are on holiday ...

I will have to work out what to do about it .. I have an idea but lets see what happens.
Sandy

Sue B said...

very cool stuff Mags!

solange bonnet said...

It is same on every blog. Many visits and few comments. It is always difficult to say that it is very beautiful, without that it becomes repetitive.
I like your ironing table covered in circles. It is very trendy.

Heather said...

That thistle shape is so lovely and I love your experiments with it Mags. Thanks for the very nice comment you left on my blog and I hope you haven't missed out on any left on yours.

Sandy said...

I love looking at your sketch books. Mine are too plain-must work harder.

Julie said...

A lovely way to remember your workshop Mags. I like the idea of continuing the line from a drawing or photo and keep meaning to have a go at that. Where does the time go?

Terri Stegmiller said...

This stuff sure looks like fun!

Gina said...

Fascinating sketchbook Mags. But then other people's always are!

Gina said...

This looks like such a great class! Your sketchbook is wonderful and I smiled at your KISS reminder. I first learned about KISS in a marketing class back in 197? ... it sure is a good reminder in so many areas!

Jane said...

I love your sketchbook, it's beautiful and full of wonderful inspiration you must be very pleased with it. I'm really enjoying your circles theme too.