Monday, August 31, 2009

Machine Knitting and tree background


Quite a few people have asked about the background to the tree in the last post - detail shown here. I made the background separately using a piece of space dyed acrylic velvet I already had and as I wanted to create depth I tried to get a misty look to the far distance, so I used a layer of fine net over the velvet for the top 2/3rds, then added another layer of the same net from about 1/2 way up and yet another layer at the top 1/3rd. Stitched some light coloured small trees at the back and darker coloured larger ones towards the front. The tree was made with the embellisher, cut out and stitched onto the background.

Having been a Machine Knitter and Tutor for a good many years, my interest in textile embroidery and mixed media meant I had no time to use my machines and as I have so much 'stuff' in my loft studio I took DH's advice and decided to get rid of all of them. A friend bought my favourite machine a Brother electronic 950i, as I watched her leaving in the car I felt very sad and knew I'd made a mistake getting rid of that particular machine. I met my friend at the FOQ in Birmingham and asked how she was doing with the machine, she said it was still in the box unused and did I want it back? Of course I did! And I went to collect it today. I haven't yet taken it out of the box either as I had 10 ATC's to finish (almost done) and another ATC and Dotee Doll which I had forgotten about and now almost finished. Only then will I be able to take my machine out of the box.

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a clever way of creating distance, and so effective Mags. Really glad you have your 'friend' back with you. It's a horrid feeling when you know you've made a mistake like that, but it turned out well in the end.

Julie said...

Glad you've got your friend back Mags. I can imagine the groan from your DH but I'm sure you'll put it to good use now that you have it back. Is it worth saying,'Don't work too hard'? lol

maggi said...

The texture of the piece is wonderful. I am so glad you got your machine back.

Sandy said...

I'm so glad you got your machine back. I don't use mine often but can't part with them. Nice ATC's

Crafters Corner said...

I am so glad to hear that you got your 950i back. I can't bear to part with my 965i or my Passap even though they hardly get any use. Who knows when they might be needed again?