Friday, October 02, 2009

Having fun

Are you like me I wonder? Some days I am busy doing nothing, but other days going at the same pace I get loads done!


The last two days have been like that and I have finished two fancy dress costumes for my 8 and 9 year old grandsons. It is 400 years since the Welsh highwayman Twm Sion Cati was active in Wales and they are also celebrating the life of T. Llew Jones a well known author of Welsh books for children, who died at the age of 93 in 2009. Many of his books were historical novels about men such as Barti Ddu a Welsh Pirate and Twm SiƓn Cati often described as the Welsh Robin Hood. It seems he died in 1609.
Next week they are dressing up for school.


I must admit I have always enjoyed making costumes and have been doing it a very long time for one thing or another. As a teacher I loved making costumes for school plays, also for my own children. I didn't own a camera when they were very young, even if I had, I dare say I would have been too busy to take many photos. I recently came across these two photos taken by my mother. The quality is very poor, but I love them. The photo above is my two sons dressed - obviously as Superman and the Snowdon Railway Station Master at the village fancy dress show.


This is my eldest son dressed in his Ladybird costume (with a not very flattering photo of me in the background as you can see, wearing a mini skirt). These were children's clothes which were very popular at the time, being sold by Woolworth stores. They both wore them, but unfortunately there's only a photo of one of them. A strange coincidenece here is that the clothes were then borrowed by someone else for another Fancy Dress show. Recently we realised that it was my son's wife and her sister who wore the clothes! I wonder if there's a photo of them wearing them somewhere?


Here is a redhead I'm working on, not yet finished, but coming along well.


Do you think there's a connection between the redhead and the car boot?

3 comments:

... Paige said...

With you, I'm sure there is a connection...

did you by chance pick her up and toss her in the boot?

Happy weekend

Heather said...

Great costumes Mags - what a special Granny you are to make such super outfits. Your redhead is looking luscious - I look forward to seeing her again when she is complete.

Aussie Jo said...

Wonderful costumes, and everlasting memories for the children.
The car boot is very intriguing!