Monday, October 12, 2009

The Knitting and Stitching Show - Goodies

Today was my sister-in-law's birthday and we were out all day, but now that I'm home I've been having another look at all the things I bought at the Show and sorting out more photos.


This is a photo of Carol and Lynda demonstrating some methods from their new book on Maggie's stand.


And here is the lovely Maggie herself. They must have been very tired of seeing me by their stand, as this was where I arranged to meet friends during the day.


All these beautiful luscious fabrics and yarns were some of the things I bought from Dale and Ian on the Thread Studio stand. The fabric on the bottom is pre-felted merino and is called a Flimsie and there's a hank of Kashmir Sari Ribbon with a skein of Slushie, hand dyed mulberry silk/15 micron merino wool. I will be using these with my Janome Xpression embellisher.


These are from the Craftynotions stand where we watched Sarah demonstrating the use of Rusting Powder and Gilding Flakes which I just had to buy with the booklet explaining all the ways to use them. I also bought a swirly template and a similar stamp. I also bought a roll of Moulding Foil which looks very promising!


This is Ruth Issett's new book 'Paintsticks' with 3 new colours to add to my already large collection of Paintsticks. We watched Ruth creating her magic with a strip of masking tape, dye and Markal Paintsticks.


The next lot were bought from Kim Thittichai who did tell me how to say her name, which I forgot immediately I'm afraid. As you can see I've bought a White Hot Block which can be impressed with any textured surfaced and used to print with. It can be re-used by re-heating and impressing again with another texture. Then I also had hot Stuff sheets in black, this can be impressed and easily stitched into. I also bought a roll of Lamifix, a clear plastic film that can be ironed onto fabric or paper.


I'm certain some of you are wondering what on earth this gadget is? It's called a Couronne Stick and I bought it from Jean Draper. I took some reading material with me to read on the train and one of them was this month's Stitch magazine and I was very interested in the article by Jean Draper using hand stitching to create textures and forms. There were lots of circles in various sizes, all using buttonhole stitch which I saw Jean stitching on one of these gadgets which is really beautifully handcrafted in pine.

15 comments:

Dotti said...

What an amazing shopping trip. You are truly lucky to have these venues in which to shop! Those fibers, yarns and merino are sooooooooo beautiful. I live in an area where these items are only available on the internet. That makes shopping so hard...there have been things I have ordered where the colors were not well represented...those things were relegated to the bottom of the stash basket!

Doreen G said...

Wow Mags it looks like you had a great time shopping and now all you have to do is find the time to use it all.

Dolores said...

It looks like there is a lot of fun in your future using the goodies you bought.

Jacquelines blog said...

It looks like you had a great time Mags, I hope to go there one day too!

Marlis said...

it looks like you had a great time mags! thanks for a first peek at ruth issett's new book - she will be arriving here on saturday, i have organized a four-day class with her (surfaces to dye for - fully booked, of course!). fun fun fun! i'll post pics on my blog.

Julie said...

Great shopping Mags, you are going to be even busier!

Carol said...

eeh Mags what a picture I look like I am catching flies LOL
What a great stash you have, I hardly boughtanything and didn't get to see much of the exhibitions the day was such a whirl.

JP said...

you obviously bought wisely! I now look forward to seeing what you do with them! - I bet you could have spent a fortune with Dale and Ian - the postage is dreadful from Australia so i wait until friends of ours go out to Oz then make an order and they bring it back with them! much cheaper but it just takes a couple of months to come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP said...

Mags really keen to know about your new book Creative Ways - did you have to get it from the States - what do you think of it - it really looks interesting

Heather said...

Lovely pics of our favourite ladies Mags and I like the look of all the goodies you came back with. I have had my eye on the Rusty book and can track that down on a website. The things you bought from Dale are gorgeous. I don't have an embellisher but am intrigued by the process and keep wondering if I would make full use of one if I bought it. You certainly wont be bored this winter! Happy playing.

MargaretR said...

Hi JP! Thanks for all your comments recently. Yes, I did send to the USA for my Creative Ways book and I thought it was well worth having.

maggi said...

A truly wonderful shopping trip. The one regret I have of not going to the show was not being able to buy anything from Dale. I saw the Couronne Stick last year at the K and S show at the NEC when I did a workshop with Jean Draper, you would have liked it as it was based on circles!

neki desu said...

the goodies were really nice. but they cannot beat your photo of Carol and Lynda.finally put a face to the misuss! :) thanks

Ro Bruhn said...

I thought I recognised some of those beautiful sari silks and wools, I buy regularly from Dale and love visiting workshops where she has her stalls there's always so much colour.

MixPix said...

Lucky you - I miss The K&S show at Ally Pally since we moved to France, and this post brought back fond memories. I'll post some pix of couronnes in a minute on my blog, but I can tell you now that that you will soon find that that "stepped" couronne stick is a pain to use - I have found that my "smooth" one is much more useful and I can get different sizes simply by doing the initial wraps further down or up the stick - I'll post a pic of that to illustrate as well...Also, once you start making couronnes be warned - it's addictive - and they look really well in masses.