Monday, October 26, 2009

My new friend shares her secret


(click for a larger image)

She's going on a course to Plas Tan y Bwlch and of course has to take everything except the kitchen sink. She did even consider that!
The stupid woman is even taking her laptop on a two day course. Now I wonder who in their right senses would do that do you think?

She's going incognito and doesn't really have red curly hair. Here is a clue to her identity, I have a red car just like that. One year I took everything I could think of that I needed, but I left home without a hairbrush or comb. But I had a great room mate who let me share hers

This is my entry for the Wild and Wacky competition at the Embroiderers' Guild Extravaganza of Embroidered Textiles which begins at 10.30 this coming Friday and is also on Saturday at the same time. The competition is in memory of Dawn Roberts who was a very popular member of our Guild. To read more about Dawn, take a look at both these posts showing her creativity with words and stitch. Dawn's work and here Dawn's creativity, tassels and poems

The work had to use recycled material and my friend and her setting contains all manner of recycled material, including one with which I feel that I'm fulfilling a promise, a promise to Dawn herself. I had a favourite red fine cord blouse which I wore for years to do messy work. I shared a table with Dawn more than once and each time she reminded me not to throw the blouse away when I'd finished with it. She used to say 'I'll have it'. I have used part of the blouse to make 'my friend's' red waistcoat.

I can tell you all about it now, because there's a Show and Tell at the Guild evening meeting tonight and she's being shared with the members. I hope it will give them all a good laugh when they see it. I think this situation is one most of us find ourselves in when we prepare to go on a course. What to take and what to leave behind. I find some people have it down to a fine art and know exactly what to take, but I still have a lot to learn.

Any advice welcome!

24 comments:

Julie said...

No good asking me for advice Mags, I'm just as bad! Hope you have a good evening and your friend is a lovely reminder of your other special friend. Her poems certainly rang true for me.

paddysdaughter said...

I think we are all a bit like that when going away - to a course or anywhere, I know I am. Your friend is great, and I like the story of the red shirt. Have a good time.

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Such a fun piece, I'm sure I don't recognise her :o)

ps. I'm having a giveaway over on my blog if you would like to enter I'll pop your name in the pointy hat!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Sorry, last message should be that my giveaway is on LOVE STITCHING RED not the other blog

Sue B said...

Mags she is brilliant! What a great piece you've created.

Heather said...

Oh Mags - this is fantastic! Everyone will love 'your friend'. I think she took her laptop so she could have a quick blog session! I never have the things I want to work with at workshops even when I have ticked off everything on the list. I always change my mind about something or wish I'd taken totally different coloured threads to work with. I think the way you have incorporated your car boot into the scene is so clever and everything is to scale.

Doreen G said...

Very clever Mags and very true as well.
A wonderful tribute to your friend.

Penny said...

Wonderful. havent we all done that, one year the friend I go with lefy all her clothes behind. We had a wonderful op shop spree to clothe her.
I was in Conwy twice last week, what a lovely place, on the last leg of our o/seas trip, thought of you and will take even more delight in your photos of the castle.

... Paige said...

I love her,looks and sounds like my sort of lady.

Take the sink!

Ruth said...

What a lovely way to remember your friend. LOL about going to a course with everything you own, that's me. My husband thought we would need a whole other car just to fit everything in.

ju-north said...

What a lovely way to think of your friend - great creativity!

Gina said...

What fun! I'm sure she'll be a big hit!

D said...

Delightfully funny and poignant tribute to a friend. Thanks so much for sharing this one.
Diane

Dolores said...

I love it. There is so much to look at and ogle. Thanks.

Aussie Jo said...

Great story Mags. Maybe one more thing, if you take the credit card you can always buy whatever you forgot!!

MargaretR said...

Thanks to you all for commenting on 'my friend' it's very much appreciated. she'll be so pleased you like her :)
Great idea Jo, I'll mention the credit card to her!

Carol said...

Your new friend is fabulous Mags, Dawn would love her, look forward to seeing it in the exhibition

Gillian said...

Hi Margaret - good to catch up with you again after all this time. Thanks for popping in. It must a good couple of years since we last connected. Glad to see you're as busy as ever! x

Annette J said...

What a wonderful friend and I'd take a laptop regardless of the course length. I also enjoyed Dawn's poems a really great way for people to remember her by. Good luck with the exhibition.

Gina said...

What a great piece, and it really does express how we tend to pack! And such a wonderful expression of your friendship with the red blouse makes this piece extra special.

Michelle said...

Love it Mags! Full of good humor, what a terrific art piece!

ju-north said...

Did you use a graphics tablet on the car boot? I have had one sitting in front of me for years but don't know how to use it! Any tips would be gratefully received!

Shashi Nayagam said...

I love your new friend. She is a wonderful character.

Jackie said...

Thats absolutely fantastic Margaret.