Monday, January 18, 2010

Enjoyment

My word for the year is 'enjoyment'. There are so many things I want to do and feel I need to do this year and I expect even the nitty-gritty to give me a great deal of pleasure and 'enjoyment'. I am in the lucky position of being retired and do not need to make a living out of my creativity. This does not mean to say that I do not take my creativity seriously, it's a very important part of my life and I intend to carry on creating as long as possible.


Taking photos is one thing that will give me 'enjoyment'. This photo was taken yesterday afternoon. The foreground was quite dark with the sun just managing to break through the clouds over the mountains.


In complete contrast is tonight's sunset.


It was a great pity I was not able to get this new moon in the previous photo. I remember my father saying in Welsh that we would have a dry spell because the moon would hold water. This one will not hold a lot of water before dripping over the edge and the weatherman is just promising some more snow for some of us on Wednesday and wet and windy for the rest of us.


I've just joined some friends in exploring the Bernina sewing machine feet and we've started with Foot number 7. Here is one of the many samples I've made, this has also given me a great deal of 'enjoyment'.


This is what my finished Egyptian piece for SerenTex looks like. We have all created our own versions using scraps of the same fabrics. I expect Mary who had the idea for this project and supplied the fabric bits will be cutting them all up before joining them together again in her own artful way.
I am pleased to say that she sold 16 works of art at her recent exhibition. Congratulations Mary!

15 comments:

Penny said...

Lovely photo, brings back memories.

mycamerandme365 said...

Your photo of the sun breaking through the clouds is just wondereful Mags, I love it! Sue M

Gina said...

You take beautiful photographs Mags.

ju-north said...

I love your photos - so different to the east coast!

pam annesley said...

I just love that photo of the sun breaking through over the mountains, Mags.

Helen Suzanne said...

Hi Mags, the Egyptian piece looks fabulous finished. I do love the photo's too, especially the sky in the first one.

Helen Cowans said...

That top photo is just fantastic.

Helen Cowans said...

That top photo is just fantastic.

Heather said...

I can relate to and agree with every word in the first paragraph of this post Mags. Your photos are breathtaking and the Bernina foot 7 sample is very inspirational - I must see if I have that foot and get the handbook out! I love your Egyptian piece, and well done to Mary - the tea and cakes are obviously on her!

Anonymous said...

I love the Eqyptian piece! I need to look at Foot 7. Regards, C Wade

Dolores said...

I always love looking at your photos and your art. Thank you for posting these.

Julie said...

Beautiful photographs Mags and I really love the Egyptian piece with its aged feel. Congratulations to Mary on her sales!

Frances said...

love the first photo Mags,

like the egyptian piece very atmospheric,

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I love the Egyptian series. I'm off to Egypt very soon ...

Carolyn

Stitchety Grub said...

I love anything Egyptian - I have lots of beautiful books on Egypt - and this piece of yours is just awesome! :-)
Britt in Western Australia