Friday, April 30, 2010

Rainforest Hanging

black border

Aussie Jo suggested a border of black around the design which I tried out on the computer and I must admit I was tempted to go for this idea.

But I’ve had a short session of dyeing for my quilt which I will call a hanging from now on after a chat with one of my SerenTex friends on the telephone this morning. I had to find out from one of the experts how I should prepare it it for hanging in the exhibition.

rainforest 019

These are the colours I dyed.  I just used the top one, a piece of cotton velvet to soak up the left-overs.  They all used Dylon dyes which I’ve had for a long time. I used a mix of three colours starting with the bottom fabric using ‘Ultra Violet’, I then added some Purple Vine to the solution for the second, third and fourth and finally Tulip Red to what was left over. The 2nd and 3rd fabrics were best the 3rd being slightly warmer. I’m still trying to decide which of the two to use.

final idea

I think it will be this one which is the warmer of the two with a very narrow binding the same fabric as the circles. Thanks for all your help

6 comments:

Gina said...

It looks great Mags!

Heather said...

Wise choice Mags - it looks beautiful. I love all the fabrics you dyed.

ju-north said...

Love the last one! Definitely the one!

Mermaid's Purse said...

Definitely a good choice - both the purple and the red!

Sandy said...

I like the black border. It makes the piece pop. Nice dyed fabrics.

Ann said...

I like the last one as well. Great work.