Saturday, May 15, 2010

Design to Stitch

It’s a lovely day here in Wales, the sun is shining brightly and it’s warm!

I’ve had a wonderful day once more and you will be thinking that all my days are wonderful won’t you? Well, on the whole , thankfully they are too. Today I went on a Guild Workshop called Design to Stitch taught by Janine Jones and she is one of our own Guild members who taught a highly successful City and Guilds , Design, Patchwork and Quilting course at  a local college for the last 7 1/2 years.

I will show you some of the things I did, but I have also put some photos on Croesew our Embroiderers’ Guild blog.

Janine's workshop 020    Janine's workshop 022

I used two sources of inspiration for my work. On the left is a design I created some time ago. I just love these colours, so my colours are based on this. I’ve had the image on the right for about 10 years and I have used it to inspire me more than once before. It was bought at a Knitting and Stitching show in Alexandra Palace from the lovely lady who made it. She was a well known textile artist from the UK - Margaret Nichols, who sadly passed away a few years ago.

But you will not believe how much has changed during the day of studying both colour and design source, which is exactly what Janine wanted.

Janine's workshop 023  Janine's workshop 024

Janine's workshop 016   Janine's workshop 018

I think the first is the one I will be using tomorrow for stitching, but I quite like the second – maybe rather busy. We prepared a lot of samples, but a few were failures and I had intended to make some more at home this evening. This is not going to happen, because I’m tired and if I carry on I won’t be able to do anything tomorrow. I need to do a few things for tomorrow’s course anyway, like preparing a more detailed plan and choose suitable fabrics. so I think I’d better stop nattering and get on with it.

5 comments:

Julie said...

It's always interesting to see the journey between design source and finished piece. I shall look forward to seeing where your journey takes you tomorrow.

I think Janine may know my friend Brenda Butters who belongs to my art group and is a wonderful inventive lady. Brenda's son lives in Trefrew.

Sandy said...

I love to see your design work. Your sketchbook are so nice.

ju-north said...

I wish I could come with you! sounds great!

Heather said...

Your designs are beautiful Mags and those colours are so lively and uplifting. Looking forward to seeing things develop.

MargaretR said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm afraid I'm rather tired to reply personally tonight :)