Friday, May 14, 2010

Puffin Island

puffin 001

This is a photo I took this morning of Puffin Island(North Wales), which is in the Straights between us and Anglesey. It was the only place where the sun shone. Before they built the Conwy Marina a few years ago we had a wonderful clear view of Puffin and also a perfectly clear view of the horizon and spectacular sunsets we often get before they built the Deganwy Marina and the Quays Hotel. So instead of getting on with my creativity I spent time looking for images of the Puffins to show you and found the BBC You Tube video below amongst many others. I hope you enjoy it.

I have only once seen a Puffin on the beach here and I thought it was a lost penguin, so I rang the RSPBA to tell them and was told that I was probably looking at a Puffin that had flown from the island.

 

 

puffin 004

While I was having my morning coffee, I noticed this Heron quietly fishing and minding his own business, when along came this cheeky Jackdaw (I know some twitter will correct me if it’s some other blackbird) and sent him packing. We have a family of them around and they seem to think they own the place. The herons don’t like fishing near one of their own kind and will send them away, but for such big birds they seem to be afraid of the Jackdaws and the Seagulls and fly away as soon as they approach them.

The photo is not very good quality and it does seem as if the Heron is chasing the Jackdaw, but believe me it’s the other way around.

3 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Thank you. The video is a delight.

Ali Honey said...

Haven't the puffins got fabulous faces and those eyes!
I really enjoyed the video, so thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

I think Puffins are great as well, have never seen one (only on television) and would love to one day.
What a shame your view has now been blocked by those buildings, must have been lovely before.