Saturday, September 04, 2010

Down Memory Lane 2

P1090226

I mentioned in my last post that it was a slate quarrying area I didn’t mention that the other side of the valley is scarred by the slate heaps. But as someone in the village told me, even that has a beauty of its own and she’s right too. The slate is a beautiful colour.

Both the houses I lived in as a child were right at the bottom of this slate waste and this was my playground. We climbed up those slates like little goats, knowing exactly where to place our feet so we didn’t create a fall. We played houses, building our own walls to a certain height and can you imagine what good slate furniture we could make? We had tables, chairs and fireplaces. Which reminds me of the evening before we had to take the scholarship examinations to go to the grammar school. I had found a tin of black paint somewhere and had been painting my fireplace black. I was told off and we were unable to get my hands completely clean for the big day.

P1090258 P1090256

Here is the little slate bridge I used to cross a stream to play houses with my friends. Sometimes we would share a house with each other and sometimes we all had our own and we’d go and visit each other for tea. I don’t think it cost our parents a penny to keep us happy all through the school holiday.

P1090232

4 comments:

Thimble Fingers said...

What stunning countryside. I really enjoyed your trip down memory lane, and yes, it just shows you how children can amuse themselves if they want to. I think sometimes life was easier and happier without technology.

Heather said...

I agree with Thimble Fingers - easier without Health and Safety too. Just think of the outcry today if children were allowed to scramble up and down those slatey slopes. We played house in hedges and woods near my home. Parents wouldn't dare let their children have so much freedom these days - it's sad. Your final photo is absolutely breath-taking.

MargaretR said...

Thanks for your comments Julie and Heather. I suppose life was a lot easier without all this technology, but then I'm sure I couldn't live without my computer now :)
You are so right Heather, Health and Safety have obviously stepped in as i couldn't go to all the places I loved because they were either fenced in had gates. I suppose the quarry owners have to dafegourd themselves. It's very sad that children can not allowed to wander freely as we did.

MargaretR said...

What a messy comment I wrote, just ignore the mistakes :) Mags