Friday, September 03, 2010

Down Memory Lane

It just gets better and better. This is not textile related at all I’m afraid, but I have to tell you all about my day. My DH suggested as it was such a beautiful day we should go back to have a look at the small village where I lived until I was 17 years old. I’ve been saying I would love to go back for years as I have only been there twice since I left.

P1090217

I hope you will agree with me that this is one of the most beautiful views in the world? But of course I may be biased :) This is Snowdon from Nantlle lake and it’s beauty is etched in my memory for ever. My father was a keen fisherman and we had a boat on the lake.

P1090239

I now have a photo of myself in my favourite view and I think I will have it framed. It’s a slate quarrying district and I wanted that wall in the photo.

P1090277

Here is another typical slate fence.

P1090245 I went looking for the house I lived in until I was about 6 years old only to find that it had been pulled down. How sad? I went to the back and found the gateway was blocked by a wheelbarrow, but it only took a minute to move it out of the way and I was able to go along the little footpath into the garden. My mother loved that garden so much and she would have been pleased to find that the neighbours were obvioulsy still looking after her little patch.

P1090247

She had a vegetable patch here as everyone had during the war.

P1090252 P1090253

This was the pump where my mother went to get all the water and when I was about 5 years old I used to go and stand by the pump every day on the way home from school to wave at an old gentleman who was bed ridden and could see me from the bedroom window of the house on the right. It was the highlight of his day and he left me some books he loved in his will.

P1090241

There was a watermill right by the house when I was a child and even then the wood had become rotten. But now there is no trace of it. As you can see from the window of the old mill someone still remembers and has found a very suitable net curtain. I will probably have a second post about my lovely day down Memory Lane

8 comments:

Jo :) said...

Beautiful, gorgeous pictures, and town! And totally love the story behind them!!
Thank you for sharing :)

Gill said...

Lovely post Mags. Thank you for sharing such fond childhood memories.

Frances said...

beautiful photos Mags I'm green what a wonderful place to grow up in, such a contrast from the concrete and brick jungle I grew up in,

so pleased for you you had such a wonderful day, hasn't the weather been wonderful too,

Heather said...

That view is breathtaking Mags, and what lovely memories you have of your childhood. Slate is wonderful stuff and I am always fascinated by the way in which various materials are used according the location they are found in.

Mermaid's Purse said...

It's wonderful Margaret - thankyou so much for sharing!

Sandy said...

It sounds like a truly lovely day and was fun to "go" with you. That is a nice view. My first home was an apartment in New York City! I think that is why I love our woods so.

Jackie said...

How beautiful and no wonder you have such an eye for beauty in your work, having been brought up in that spot.
I enjoyed your visit to Janine's house too. How beautiful.

Scraps of Bev said...

Hi Gill - Long time since I visited your blog and I see you're still posting wonderful photo's and such interesting stories to go with the photo's as this last set shows..

Hope all is well with you!