Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chester

Chester is a lovely city and I’m fortunate enough to be able to visit it almost weekly and I do try and take a few photos each time I’m there. But as it’s also a good shopping centre I often find the time flies as we only stay for 2 or 3 hours because parking is quite expensive there and traipsing around can be tiring even though I wear my most comfortable shoes. Sad smile

chester 020

As you can see, this is a Welsh chapel and not the only one there. Many Welsh people lived and worked in Chester.

chester 028     chester 022

They were strong Temperance Movement followers which meant they abstained from drinking alcohol. These bottles were covering the spikes on the railings outside and I wondered what they would make of that? they obviously had to scrape the mud off their shoes before entering the chapel, there’s one each side of the main door.

chester 019

I believe these were once alms houses and I’m sure there’s a demand for them these days, but not for the same reasons as in the old days thankfully. It must be very expensive buying a house in such a beautiful city.

chester 006   

 Siege damage

Siege damage2

I’m not sure if you will be able to read the words here, but if you are interested you can read about it here.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Interesting post and photos Mags. We drove through Chester once on our way to somewhere in North Wales for a holiday and I always wanted to go back for a look round. I love the half-timbered buildings in the centre of the city.

Sheilasembroidery said...

Lovely clear photos.

Deb H said...

I love the arch designs.

Seems an odd placement of the beer bottles. My DH refers to that brand as "Bud-dumber", seems it might be appropriate.

It looks like a quaint place.

Sheilasembroidery said...

Thanks for pointing me at the AD Journaling sketchbook blog, I hope one day I can do work like that. Sorry I couldn't find a way to let you know this except through your personal blog. Thank you for your kind comments on my Journaling Journeys.