Saturday, April 16, 2011

A lovely afternoon

I’ve been keeping a lovely secret to myself. Francoise from Belgium (blog Creatilfun)emailed me months ago that she was hoping to come to North Wales for a short visit with her husband and today we met once again. This was our third meeting. We arranged to meet at Oriel Mostyn Gallery, but Francoise couldn’t wait to go to Stitch It which is just a few doors away.

Francoise 005

Behind us is the Nuvo Felt workshop being taught by Miriam in the shop and they were so quiet and engrossed in what they were doing you’d hardly know they were there.

Francoise 003

Miriam is demonstrating and Francoise watching.

Francoise 004    Francoise 006

We also had to have a photo of Francoise and Carol together as she came all the way from Belgium to visit the shop. Smile

Then we had a look at the gallery and had a coffee with some Welsh Cakes (Teisen Gri) before having a look at some of the bookshops in town.

These were made by the womenfolk to put in the quarrymen’s lunch boxes and I understand they were also made for the coalminers of South Wales but called by a different name. They are delicious spread with a little butter when cold. This recipe is exactly the way I’ve always made mine. This is a written Recipe for Welsh Cakes, but I don’t add the lemon. I’m sure they would be nice like that too. I don’t think they would have added any in the old days as lemons would not always be easily available and this is the first time I’ve seen it added.

Francoise 013

To crown it all Francoise brought me a lovely box of Belgian Chocolates! I shall limit myself to two or three every evening, but I have already eaten the first three and they are delicious.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That looks like a fantastic shop Mags - I'm sure your friend enjoyed her visit. I made some Welsh Cakes yesterday and will try your recipe next time. Belgian Chocs - Yum!

Gerrie said...

Thanks for posting a photo of my lovely friend. I can't wait to meet her in person.

Linda said...

You looked like you were enjoying yourselves!

Did I miss something? I couldn't see any quantites with the video - I'd love to have a go at making Welsh cakes.

MargaretR said...

I hope you see this Linda. I've added the written recipe to the post. as I said, it's just like mine but no lemon.

Jeannie said...

Thank you so much for sharing the Welsh Cakes. I did not know the Welsh side of my family and so this will be a nice addition to family get togethers. (The other side is Norwegian.) Have a beautiful Easter holiday.