Monday, April 11, 2011

Plas Tan y Bwlch

Another wonderful weekend in the company of like minded friends. There will be more about this on the Croesew blog when I find time to get down to it.


I had my name down for a course with Ruth Issett, but was first on the reserve list and felt quite disappointed, but it was a blessing in disguise for I was very inspired by Stevie Walker’s workshop. I’d been on a previous workshop with her and had enjoyed it. This one was was called Patterns of the Earth and was on making landscapes using the embellisher with machine and hand embroidery, because I’m not really a landscape person the title had not appealed to me. How wrong can you be? It was fantastic and I became really enthusiastic and it might mean a change of direction in my work which can only be good. I’ll give you a peek at what I did and when I’ve finished it, you can see it all.


blog1


This is a little warm-up exercise I did Friday evening


blog 2


and here is a tiny bit of the work in progress on my teasels.


We were fortunate enough to have 3 ‘shops’ for the weekend where we could go and top up and find the correct colour yarns and threads for our projects. We had Vera Morgan, Stitch It, LLandudno and Silken Strands, Bangor who all live locally. My first visit was to Carol at Stitch It to buy The Clover Needle Felting Tool as I hadn’t taken my Embellisher machine with me because I don’t normally use this tool I thought it would be good practice for me. I did like it and I know there are some things it can do that a machine cannot do but I found it painfully slow and was soon only too happy to use Stevie’s own embellisher which she kindly let me borrow.

9 comments:

ju-north said...

Looks great Margaret! can't wait to see it all finished!

maggi21 said...

Lovely work. I have found that so many times the workshops that you are lukewarm about can be the most exciting when you get there

Sandy said...

Makes me want to go to my machine! I'll be waiting to see the piece.

Angela said...

Wow, judging by your pieces it looks like a wonderful workshop. It's great when the things we don't think we'll enjoy end up surprising us!

Heather said...

That sounds like a great workshop. I love the landscape and look forward to seeing it finished, and your teasel head is beautiful.

PaulineC said...

These are absolutely gorgeous.

Gina said...

That sounds like fun and I love your teasle... can't wait to see the rest of it.

Deb H said...

Really pretty pieces. It's always fun to stretch a bit, isn't it?

Linda said...

Such contrasting pieces of work...but both really lovely. Lucky you to go to such a great workshop.