Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My cousin the talented stonemason

I have to brag a little tonight about my cousin Robin the very talented stonemason who crafted this beautiful cladding  on Snowdon Summit, the highest mountain in Wales. I missed his interview on television in 2009 when Hafod Eryri the new summit redevelopment plan was finalized and I was so disappointed. I hadn’t realised there was a blog that followed the whole process, but here are some photos of the building when it was practically finished. He rang me last night to see if I knew the history of our ancestors who were guides on Snowdon, but I had only heard stories when I was a child and don’t remember half of what I was told then. This is why I decided to find out what I could on the Internet, but instead came across this wonderful blog with his own story instead.

I am very proud of Robin as you can tell because he was also in charge of building the quay wall (below) you so often see here on Digital Gran.

estuary 012

As you can imagine, this was no mean feat as they had to fit in with the tides. On Snowdon it was a fight against the bad weather as you will see if you have a look at the Snowdon blog!

Helen S 001

This card with a brooch attached is the work of another very talented person Helen Suzanne whose beautiful work you will find here on Flickr and you may also have seen her in The Studio that I have on my sidebar along with another very talented young friend Helen Cowans.

No comments: