Friday, April 12, 2013

A stencil using the Silhouette Cameo

I really thought I'd cracked it!

A pathetic stencil
I want to be able to make proper stencils with borders around them, so back to the drawing board once more. I realised I needed to create a bridge or bridges to hold it all together. So I made a few bridges which you can see if you look carefully. But, when It cut out with the Silhouette, this is what I got. A separate middle piece again. I've looked at it and studied it and it's far more difficult than I thought it would be. The shape is rather complicated for a first attempt perhaps?


One with bridges - one without!
Can you see the slight differences between these two images? This is where I've added a few more bridges to see what will happen now.What I don't understand though is - why do I need so many bridges as the centre turned out in one piece? This time I'll try it with paper, BTW the cereal box cut out OK but only after turning the cutting blade up to 8 and cutting around it 4 times!
TIP
If you think a design is not cut properly don't take it out of the machine. always check first by lifting a corner to see if it's cut through. 

Another failure,

And below - at last a success!
Just what I wanted!

3 comments:

dorothypandorasbox said...

Great! You've cracked it. Well done that girl
:-)
Have you thught of trying to cut your stencil out of acetate film? I have done quite a few using card .... I bought a pack of cheap card from PCWorld and that cuts well on setting 5 or 6.

Gilli said...

These are wonderful and I want one of these machines now!

little sort of lady thing called Granny said...

Well worth the effort!